What Up Fans?!?! Yikes. It really has been a grit since either of us has posted anything. For that, I apologize. Let’s chalk it up to the Summer and good ‘ol procrastination. That said, because we haven’t posted anything in a long damn time…..we have all kinds of goodies to catch up on. Let’s dig right in!
I’ll start with something near and dear to my heart….The N.L. Central Division Winning Cincinnati Reds. Hearing and saying that might be my zen moment for my entire year.
Brucey did it right, sending all of Red’s Nation into the playoffs for the first time since ’95 by jacking one to left center and clinching the division. I wish I could tell you that the fairytale story continued from there. But I can’t. Brucey and the Reds were no-hit by Halladay in GM 1 of the NLDS, blew a 4 run lead in GM 2 and ran into even more great pitching in GM 3. I won’t/can’t go into any more details about the series because the wound is way too fresh and I just can’t bring myself to type any more words about it.
But hey, we actually have something to look forward to next year! Great young pitching and the NL’s best offensive/defensive squad will be primed to make a run at winning the Central wire-to-wire in 2011. Congrats to the boys and my fellow Cincy die-hards, this is but the beginning of a long tradition of winning in the ‘Nati.
I hope everyone had a chance to check out some of the Ryder Cup two weeks ago. The US squad was trying to win on European soil for the first time since ’93 and made quite a run at it. Couple of cool things to point out:
- Tiger played great in his first gig in a long time, winning 3 out of the 4 matches he played in.
- Phil didn’t do anything to help the cause, going 1-3
- 21 year old Rickie Fowler only went 1-1-1 throughout all his matches – but dude hit this sick putt on 18 to save a point for the good guys. Kid’s got ice in his veins.
- Tiger hit a ball that nailed a cameraman. Luckily the cameraman took the shot beforehand (see below). Best part about the photo? You guessed it…cigar guy.
Josh Luchs is a former NFL agent who was forced out of the business for some dirty practices. So he did what all former sports-personalities do once they’ve been accused of wrong-doing…..he wrote a tell-all piece for Sports Illustrated so he could bring everyone else down with him. Classy. Either way, its a pretty good read and he helps the world finally understand how Maurice Clarett got drafted in the 3rd Rd. of the NFL draft.
I had the chance to check out one of my favorite bands, Bulit To Spill, at Neighborhood Theater earlier this week. Sure, I’m biased, but it was definitely one of the better shows I’ve had a chance to catch this Summer/Fall. BTS is one of the forefathers to some of the Indie Rock music that we listen to these days, so get hip to ’em if you get the chance. Cool side story for the night: We walked in while the opener was just finishing up, and noticed some guy sleeping in his chair in the VIP section. He got up when the Opener got off and lo and behold – it was Doug Martsch (lead guitarist/singer). Life on the road is tough.
A favorite of ours at the Hole, Sufjan Stevens has just released his 6th studio album, The Age of Adz. Took a break from his usual subject matter and seems to have put out an album that reeks of passion from all sorts of areas. Whether he’s singing about John Wayne Gacy or The Great Lakes State, Sufjan can do it like no other.
Awesome concert poster from a Norah Jones show in LA:
Hip Hop is still a big part of what we listen to in the Hole and there are some cool things going on right now:
- Love him or hate him, Kanye has been working pretty hard this Summer/Fall on some great new music. The best part is that he’s giving it away free every Friday. Check out G.O.O.D. Fridays.
- That Kid from Cleveland is still doing work as well. He’s scheduled to put out Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager on October 26th. In the meantime he put out a song called “Erase Me.” Kinda went under the radar for a bit, but now that he put out this video – expect to hear it much more. Yup. McLovin.
- Under “Things You Should Be Listening To” category….check out Big Sean when you get a chance. Props to Mosby for gettin me hip to it.
- Finally, to make your music fix more accessible, check out these links: illRoots, hypem and Live For The Funk.
Target hates on some creativity shown during this Halloween season.
Miami-Dade Police think that all gang-related criminals look like Jay-Z.
Street artist, Banksy, put together an opening montage for The Simpsons. Little dark humor, maybe a little bit of truth?
Modern take on a rain dance.
Esquire named Minka Kelly the sexiest woman alive. You will get no argument from anyone associated with the Mole Hole. As avid watchers of Friday Night Lights, we’ve always known that Lyla Garrity had the goods. Enjoy.
Welp, thats all I’ve got for now. We’ll try to do better next time…..